Friday, October 11, 2013

The Lush Life



I really love wine or a nice glass of "champs". Going out there and saying it. I just really enjoy sitting with Mr. A or a gal pal, sipping on a bevi, and enjoying the conversation and moment. 

Gone are the days of my enjoying a sweet cocktail - no more Carrie Bradshaw Cosmo's. This momma drinks scotch now. I love the way that scotch tastes as it moves down my throat into my tummy. It's such a warmer. 

The wife of a great friend in Brooklyn recommended a blog,  The Lush Life, on Facebook and I've been savoring every post. The blogger is a sommelier, so she knows her stuff. I once hosted a champagne tasting event at my former employer with one of the best sommeliers in the country. Like really, he was a big deal. And as nice as could be. And I had no idea what he was saying. This girl breaks it down to my novice language and offers tips on food and cheese pairings. How delightful. Here are a few tidbits I've picked up in reading her posts:

  • On wine and cheese:
When you're throwing your own cheese party, set your cheeses out about 45 minutes before you plan to serve them to let them come up to room temperature for max enjoyment.


  • On alternatives to pricey Champagne and it's cost-effective cousin, Prosecco:

First things first: a sparkling wine can only be called 'Champagne' if it's produced in the Champagne region of France. (I knew this!!) However, this incredible value from Albuquerque, New Mexico is labeled 'Methode Champenoise'- meaning it's made with the same grape varieties (Chardonnay and Pinot Noir in this case) and techniques as legit Champagne and it's every bit as delicious in the glass! The Gruet family was producing Champagne in France and moved operations to New Mexico when they discovered an optimal micro-climate there for growing grapes.(I did not know this - how fascinating!)  NY Times' 'Best Sparkling Wine in America'.


She also does a fun series called, Label Whore. I know I am guilty of this. Purchasing a bottle of wine based solely on its cute label. The series sizes up those adorable labels and puts them to the test - sip it or skip it? 

It seems that this blog is just getting off the ground. I am psyched to see more! 

1 comment:

  1. i am checking out this blog! love the label whore series idea.

    ReplyDelete