Friday, January 3, 2014

Sam's Baptism - Decor & Menu

Following Sam's baptism, we hosted a small reception in the hall of the church. It was so convenient to be able to utilize the space, but it's a fairly blank (mundane) canvas. There is an industrial kitchen off of the hall so we were able to set up, chill, and warm our food prior to mass.


This is the invitation suite we ordered from Tiny Prints http://www.tinyprints.com/. This is obviously not our invitation! Sam is not Michael Lucas, I am not Sylvia. Nor do we live in California. Although as we are in the midst of a blizzard right now, I wish we did live in Cali! I loved the blue and green in the invite and incorporated those colors into the decor.



One of our centerpieces. I've used this piece numerous times before. Just slice some limes, lemons, or oranges, or all three, and fill a glass vase. Easy. I used limes and white daisies to compliment the invitation. It's helpful to use a piece of Tupperware that matches the size of the vase to hold the flowers, and the fruit, in place inside of the vase. We didn't use the Tupperware here and it still stayed in place.


The welcome table.


Tissue pom-poms. These are a part of a kit from Martha Stewart and Michael's. I placed them on top of a glass candlestick.


Our dessert table. Cupcakes, chocolates in the glass pillars, and white powdered donuts. Sam's godmother made the bunting - how ADORABLE? We used it over the numerous windows in the room as well. I topped the tablecloth with wrapping paper. Close up shot in the picture below. I found this trick on pinterest, of course. It was a cute, and cheap, table runner and it also protected the tablecloth a bit. We used those cheap-o tablecloths, the ones where if you spill a drop of liquid on the it, it basically saturates the entire cloth. The wrapping paper caught some spills so it didn't look super messy throughout the reception.


The wrapping paper table runner.




Cupcakes made by me and decorated by godmomma A. I love how they turned out!


Favors - sugar cookies from my favorite bakery in Cape Elizabeth. We placed them in treat bags, printed labels based on the invitation and some labels that said "thank you". This font is from my favorite font source, http://www.kevinandamanda.com/


Our buffet line. We did order some catering from Whole Foods including bagels, chicken & egg salads, and a fruit display. My grandmother made two quiches, my aunt a delish pasta salad, and we made a garden salad, pumpkin french toast, egg & sausage casserole, muffins, and an apple danish. The wrapping paper runner really helped to keep this table looking tidy.

The only recipe online is the pumpkin french toast. This was quite the hit! I've made it twice since and guests have loved it. Here it is - http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/baked-pumpkin-french-toast/. Enjoy!

This was an all-hands on deck operation. A huge thanks to my hubby, my brother and sister-in-law (and Sam's amazing godparents), and my cousin C for their help prepping. And a huge thanks to my family who made a dish, cut some quiche, made coffee, helped place items on the buffet, and most importantly graced us with your presence on this special day!


1 comment:

  1. Wahoo! The pictures!! Love them and I love the remembrance of the day in all of those little details. It was such a meaningful and special day!! Can't wait to see the collage in person.

    ReplyDelete